Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Home Again, Home Again...Jiggidy Jig

It's been a long week. A very long week. Our whirlwind vacation took us to Idaho, Montana, and Alberta, Canada. We saw 1 great-grandma, 3 grandmas, 2 grandpas, 4 uncles, 2 aunts, and 13 cousins. We went to a parade, a national park, and Tim Horton's (more than once), and watched a fair amount of the Olympics. We discovered that Curtis does NOT like his car seat, does NOT like sleeping in his pack n' play, and is mighty angry when he's teething. Although we had a grand time I'm not sure the Jones family will be up for a road trip any time soon. There was just too much screaming.

Here is Curtis visiting with his uncle, Rich. It just happens to be a good non-crying moment. We stopped to see grandpa and grandma Jones in Pocatello. The girls spent a long time playing in their back yard. Apparently their yard is "lots funner" than ours.

We next moved on to grandma Barbara's house where the girls were able to show off their expert bike-riding skills to their "purple-haired" grandma (we're not sure why they call her that).

We next stopped in Polson, Montana to visit with my brother, the optometrist. He bought a practice there last year and seems to be doing well. I got my eyes checked out and picked out a new pair of glasses (thanks, Jeff!) while the kids enjoyed running amuck with their cousins. Kasen taught Lindy how to ride her bike down the long hill in front of their house. Luckily there were no injuries that couldn't be taken care of by a simple band-aid. Kasen also tried to teach us the finer arts of the Wii. Unfortunately, he pretty much schooled me...so I gave up.

We eventually made it to our final destination: grandma's house. My older brother and his family were in town for his 20-year H.S. reunion, so my parents house was filled to capacity! And did we ever have fun! Grandma even showed off some serious headstand skills!

We got to know Liam a little better. He's a little mohawked firecracker. This "yawp" was a precursor to a well-strategized attack on his uncle Ian. 

The Cardston parade was a highlight. It was the epitome of small-town festivities. There were very  few floats...mostly horses and random people who wanted to be in the parade. (I spent a minute or two wondering why Thing 1 and Thing 2 were on a Book of Mormon float.)

The big draw of the parade? Candy. Almost everyone in the parade throws candy. Brandt, was all about the sugar!

We had a blast visiting Canada. Grandpa and grandma sure took the houseful of craziness in stride and made it a great vacation. It's always so much fun to get the family together for a little insanity. We can't wait to see you again! Here's to you! 


8 comments:

Lindsay said...

looks like so much fun!!! and thanks for the note....the virtual hug was just what I needed.

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Autumn said...

YAY! I'm so glad you're home! Your mom is so cool! Awesome handstand! I hear ya...traveling with 3 kids is the worst! I always told my mom if I ever mentioned wanting another baby to invite me to visit her house! That always did it for me!

Rochelle said...

Headstands, nose pickin', thing one and thing two, seriously looks like you have a great family and never too much fun! But the kicker was grandma's headstand, I want details!

Jen Crook said...

Good times with the fam! I hear your woes about the crying babies. I am so thankful to be on our way out of that stage of life.

Teri said...

I'm lovin' the nose pickin' What a super fun family. Your mom is so talented with that headstand! Glad you made it back.

Lewis Family said...

Looks like you had a great time! I give your mom a '10' for that headstand. Amazing! :)

Anonymous said...

too bad I wasn't there - it would have multiplied the fun by at least 10. ha ha

plus - i am an excellent nose picker too. :)