It was only a matter of time. I know that Curtis is still young...but truly, it was only a matter of time before he landed his parents on the wrong side of the law. (If you know his uncles--my side of the family, not Ian's--you will understand my shrugging acceptance of this fact. Hee, hee.)
Responding to the doorbell this afternoon, I was surprised to see Mr. Police Officer standing on my doorstep. He had a notepad and pen in hand and asked, "Are you Amy?" I, of course, stuttered a quick, "Y-y-yes!", my mind racing through several years of my life to find the one tiny detail I may have overlooked that would have landed me in this uncomfortable predicament.
Turns out Curtis has figured out how to unlock my LOCKED cell phone and place several 9-1-1 calls. Mr. Police Officer was sent, by dispatch, to find out if everything was okay. They were able to get my name from my voice mail (they tried to call me back but my phone was still on silence from my trip to the movies last night). They then were able to "triangulate" a possible location of my cell phone (did they trace my number? Ping it? Weird.) After knocking on a neighbor's door and asking if they knew anyone named Amy he ended up at my house...informing me that if my eighteen-month old's cell phone use becomes a consistent pattern we may be charged.
Great. What are the odds this doesn't happen again?
Right before leaving the officer offers up this tidbit of advice: "You may want to curb his cell phone use...at least until he's a teenager." No worries, sir, at this rate he won't be getting a cell phone. Ever.
12 comments:
The cop car was in front of our house today. We told the kids they better clean up their rooms right now or he was here to take them to jail. Worked like a charm. Even used it again tonight to make them stay in their beds. Maybe Curtis can have them come over more often :)
oooooh, that is so naughty of him!
You know you don't have to unlock the cell phone to dial 9-1-1, right? If you dial those numbers the call goes through even if the phone is locked. (when I heard that I had to try it and it really does work!!)
(P.S. What movie did you see?)
I knew you could "unlock" it by just dialing 911. I didn't know, however, that you could just push a random set of numbers, hold them down long enough, and you'll get patched through to 911. Is it just my phone?
I saw "All About Steve". I haven't laughed that hard in years...but it was naughty. I can't recommend it. Which is too bad. I miss CleanFlix.
oh my goodness!!!
did you know you can call 911 from a phone that is no longer in service? as long as its charged, it can call 911. there was an unfortunate incident involving katrice and brian, she asked the dispatcher to take him to jail:).
Dying laughing here! Been there, done that - with a phone that is no longer in service! I'm just trying to imagine your poise as you answered the door! I love moments like this!
That is classic! I love it! Only you! That would have freaked me out for days!
My little bro did that to me while I was baby-sitting years ago. I had just overflowed the dishwasher with dawn and was yelling, "quick Jake get off the phone , it is everywhere!" The cop called back to find out if I was okay (blood was what he thought was everywhere), and if he needed to send an ambulance with the cop on his way.I was SO embarrassed to explain the situation and watched my bro like a hawk the rest of the day..
We gave our kids an old cell phone that was no longer in service. Our kids told us for weeks that they kept talking to some women, I thought it was their great imagination. One night I heard them on the phone, I grabbed it and demanded to know who it was. She informed me she was a 911 dispatcher and they had numerous calls from that phone.
That kid is SMART!!!! How could he figure that out? I could see Lindy or Ellie, but CURTIS??? Oooooo, you're in big trouble!!!!
Super great story...lesson learned? Put cell phone somewhere small child can't get it? Ha ha ha!
Hilarious! I handed Logan my cell phone the other day to appease him at the Dr.'s office. Within seconds he had unlocked the keypad. How do they manage to figure that out so quickly? I will keep an eye on the 911 calls.
Post a Comment