Friday, December 11, 2009

Annoyances

Ian and I went on a date tonight. A genuine cologne-involved excursion for dinner and a movie. The dinner part was great (JCW's...how can you go wrong?) but somewhere between locating our seats and the end of the movie we experienced a slight complication. This difficulty presented itself in the form of 4 teenage girls, 4 cell phones, and a penchant for seat-kicking.

For the most part, I was able to enjoy the movie and even shed a couple tears...all in spite of the Teen Girl Squad camped out behind me. When I wasn't listening to them giggle, ooooh, and awwww in response to the multiple (so very many) texts they received during the movie, I was involved in a strange battle for seat-back territory. Apparently Teen Girl #3 thought my seat back belonged to her lounging legs. After the 20th kick in the head I was forced to verbally inform her that she was overstepping her bounds.

As I ponder the events of the evening I am led to ask three important questions:

1. What kind of child is so oblivious to other people that they have no idea they have actually smacked someone in the head with their hideous uber-pink Ugg?

2. Are we really so dependent on our texting that we can't turn off our cell phones for a measly two hours?

and

3. How in the world to I prevent my daughters from becoming one of them?

I swear to you, if I ever hear of my daughter kicking someone in the head or texting for 2 hours straight and driving unsuspecting strangers to distraction with her whispering...heads will roll!

10 comments:

Natelli Johnston said...

oh that is SO annoying! texting drives me bananas! the young women can't go 5 minutes without texting! glad you stood up for yourself JOnes.

Emily said...

Sorry I don't have time to finish this comment; I just got a text.

Emily said...

k im dun now

what movie wuz it

Munchkin Invasion said...

My blood is boiling just reading the post...how hard is it for us to go on dates with our husbands without our boundaries being crossed at every turn? It costs us an arm and a leg to go (babysitter+dinner+movie), and at the end of the night, I realized I just spent $100 dollars hearing someone else's baby cry, someone else's cell phone, and someone else's obnoxious teenager. Maybe...I should just stay home! Oh, ya, that IS what we do - WE NEVER GO OUT. What a fun life!!!

Sorry for the tirade...you pushed a button. :)

Teri said...

It's funny that they go to a movie and not watch it.. they used to have a little short in the movie to turn off your phones, they should do that still. What movie did you see?

Jodi Jo said...

you should have gone to the management. I have before. They aren't watching the movie anyway. Does it matter if they kick them out? It may just teach them some manners. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. That and crying babies at the movies. I know that these people brought their kids because they really wanted to see the movie - I did too. That's why I left my kids home. And you really should have gone to the management.

Lewis Family said...

It would have been awesome if you could have texted them and told them to knock it off! Constant texting is one of the many reasons Eli hasn't had a cell phone yet. It drives me crazy. They were probably texting each other!

Fiddlefish said...

Hmmm. They must have been related to the rude chick that scolded me in Bajio for the mess Adam made. LOL People never cease to amaze me.

Craythorn Family said...

TEENAGERS! My only hope is that I can teach mine to be more respectful than that. Too many parents don't teach respect and have become complacent with their children's obnoxious and rude behavior. I am so annoyed by it I could just scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen Crook said...

We just have strict rules on the cell phone in our house. Never at dinner, or in public and NEVER at church. She knows she will lose it in the blink of an eye if she is disrespectful in any way.