Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Pushing Buttons


Do you ever feel outwitted by your children?

I do.

Daily.

Have I mentioned that my 6 year-old and I are veritable Peas in a Pod? We are. We typically battle back and forth, raising the ante to ridiculous levels, until we are in a complete and total mother-daughter train wreck. The fact that I'm 30 years her senior and a supposed adult doesn't help. Being Peas in a Pod also means she's the one person who knows exactly where my buttons are and how to push them. Trying, in the least.

A mild example from last night: As she was pitching her nightly fit about bedtime and raising the bar on whininess, I told her if she didn't stop making noise I'd have to shut her door (she likes it open a crack). Her response? "I'll just be louder!"

How do you respond to that? It's not like I can shut the door more.

7 comments:

Norma said...

Ahhh, yes - the "Clash of the Titans" - I also deal with this - I understand it gets better when they move out!

Jodi Jo said...

Hmmm... Tell her you will shove a sock in her mouth. It's the completely outrageous threats that you never intend to carry out that work. Don't you know that? :)

Munchkin Invasion said...

Yep...she's as smart as you - and you deserve it!!!

Jason and Kristin said...

She sounds like Graham. Good luck.

Emily said...

But you can always shut the door louder. Parenting at its finest involves slamming doors.

Craythorn Family said...

That is something Taylor would say. Sadly, we too are Peas in a Pod and she knows how to push my buttons, DAILY!!! I am so not going to survive teenagehood with her. Anyone willing to take her from ages 13-18???? Then I will take her back, I promise!

Jen Crook said...

Oh wow...someday life will get worse. My oldest and I are the same way. Only now it is on a whole new level...I hope we survive and can be friends someday. Sigh.