Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mexico: Food

An open letter of apology to my friend Emily:

Dear Emily,

I have always admired your gift of documenting life with pictures (not to mention your incredible gift of writing). Unfortunately, I do not share either talent and am hereby forced to bore you with a sparse sampling of the food items that were offered in Mexico.

In my defense: I have mentioned I'm Canadian, right? Most Mexican food down-right scares me. Apparently bad enough that I don't even take pictures! (Shiver.)

Forgive me, dear friend. I shall try to do better on my next trip out of the country.
Sincerely,
Amy

So, I'm afraid this will have to do:

This is the table where my waiter-friend, Mario, mixed a "Mayan Coffee" which basically was coffee, with a bunch of liquor which he started on fire, poured from container to container and let blaze while sugar on the rim caramelized. Entertaining, if not appetizing.

Festive mexican-colored Jello:

Jello art. (Who knew?):

And I don't even know what this is. See?...scary:

And, possibly the most frightening thing I saw? This:

Nope. Not even the least bit tempting for me. I may have vomited a little in my mouth then. I do remember thinking I don't think I like pork anymore. What's up, Mexico? Sheesh.

My (very boring) plate consisted of:

White roll, steamed cauliflower, steamed potatoes with rosemary and parmesan, roasted pineapple, mexican rice, and a tostada. And, believe me, 3 of those items are a stretch for my Canadian heritage. I'll let you guess which.

And here ends my post on the food in Mexico. I hope it will suffice.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Amy, Amy, Amy. This just means that next time you will just have to BRING ME WITH YOU. Boring vegetables, a generic roll and a microscopic tostada? For shame...

Emily said...

The pig was cool, though. Disgusting, but cool. Rock on, Canadian friend.

Emily said...

For crying out loud! You live in UTAH! Couldn't you have at least tried the jello?? Okay, moving on now... really. I promise.