Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Time

It really is amazing  how quickly time passes. The older I get the faster the days, hours, even minutes, seem to slip through my tenuous grip. I find myself wishing I had more moments of peace and contentment and less of chaos and worry. I wish I could spend an eternity staring at my children's little faces soaking in their beauty and innocence. I would quietly let it wash over my dull and cynical soul. Maybe then I'd remember what it was like to be young again. To recall the joy and magic in the world. To be able to run and jump without the weight of years pulling me heavily to the earth. 

Already I've lost a month of my little boys life. I looked at him this morning and quietly pleaded for him to slow down! He's already growing, stretching, and reaching towards the day he will be too big for cuddles, kisses, and his mom's fretting. Why do they have to change so quickly? Why do I not know how to cherish the short time I have with them? In all my frantic rushing to and fro I manage to take care of dinners, house cleaning, yard work, and hobbies but somehow miss out on the precious gift of a guileless spirit. Shame on me!

I need to stop frittering away these moments. My Father in Heaven has blessed me with three of his children to call my own for the briefest of time. I need to figure out how to be grateful and responsible for that time. Somehow. 

10 comments:

Teri said...

(putting the dictionary down) My goodness can you publish that! It will be quoted I promise you that.
This post is exactly how I feel, but you quietly pleaded for him to slow down, a much better idea. I yelled it, not such a good idea it scares the poor guys. Can you believe Jack is going to be 9 months old? Take a million pictures just like that cute one, it helps to remember the sweet cuddly times. Love you Am - you rock!

Autumn said...

K...one of my favorite posts ever! I think every mother must feel this way..I know I do! I can't believe my sweet little baby girl is babysitting for Holly tonight!! You are such a great writer! P.S. What a beautiful baby boy you have!

Jodi Jo said...

Just what I needed today when a cold and stuffy head has left me with little patience. Thank you.

Jen Crook said...

It's nice to be reminded that we love them when there are days we just don't like them much. I have a few of the most stubborn and obstinate children ever but every now and again, I am able to slow down and just smile at them. Don't let life get so busy that you forget those moments. Thank heavens we have blogs to record such feelings to remind us later on.

Jaclyn and kodey said...

They grow so fast don't they, he is so cute i can't belive he is already a month old, time flys by, i feel the same way as you love the post.

Chelsea said...

What a way to put things into perspective! I think that we get so tied up in the "maintaining" of these little ones that we truly do miss their beauty and innocense. I do have to say, he is a very handsome little guy. Next thing you know, you'll be taking him to the nursery! It does go by too fast.

Holly said...

Such a good reminder! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have your talent, will you share it with me??!! You are an amazing writer. I have so many thoughts rolling around in my head, I would write them down more if I could sound even half as beautiful as you do! Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

Amy I've said it before and I'll say it again..you should have been a writer. Oh wait you are! You do articulate so beautifully. Looks like your little Curtis is growing so fast!! He is adorable and so are you. Hope you are doing well.
I think you really do appreciate the moments more as you 'learn' to...good news is when yours are all grown up you will appreciate your grandbabies! Life really is a circle so if you miss anything the first time, you just catch it on the next go round!
Love ya,
kim

Natelli Johnston said...

Amy, that is so good to hear today. I am seriously a bear today, I am so honery, i have no idea how to spell honery. I have been yelling at my kids all day. Funny how we rush around trying to get all kinds of things done and somehow miss out on the most precious moments during the day.