One word I find myself using lately to describe my Lindy is "contrary". If there's an argument to be made it seems she will find a way to make it, regardless of the legitimacy of her point of view. For example, a few weeks ago we were out walking and I had something to drop off in a neighbors' mailbox. Lindy wanted to help, so as we approached I helpfully pointed out that it was the white mailbox (it was right next to a black one). She responded, "That mailbox is grey." At first I just thought she wasn't looking at the right one, so I tried to correct her. My bad, apparently. This "criticism" sparked a desperate need to be right in my first born which I have honestly never seen before. She wouldn't bend. She was bound and determined to make that white mailbox grey. Now, I know what you're saying...why argue with her? Why not just let it go? Well, you're right. That would have been the mature adult response, but where exactly do you think my daughter got this particular personality trait? You guessed it...me.
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Stubborness
Since that day I have found that Lindy will argue with me about anything and everything. While it's frustrating (and, believe me, I've reached the pinnacle of frustration with my child about this) I keep telling myself that her stubborn pig-headedness could be a positive characteristic IF I can just turn it in the right direction. If we can figure out how to teach her right from wrong, and that it's better to argue about what is right rather than just about what is opposite, we might be able to give her some excellent tools in resisting peer pressure as she grows up.
How's that for looking at the glass as half full? Now all I need to do is figure out how to do it. Oh boy.
Posted by Amy Jones at 8:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so funny! I have been having the same kind of arguments with Garret. But if I even try to tell him he's wrong he always tells me that that he "knows all about stuff". That is usually where the argument ends with me trying to keep a straight face. Good Luck!
I have four if these stubborn children. If you figure out anything that helps- call me! lol
I'm thinking...maybe she's color blind?? ...kind of funny if she was right and it is grey to her after all! :) P.S. She and Jace are a match made in heaven! It makes me laugh!
I love both this post and the one previous to it. We have stubborness in its extreme at this house and we also have had many a pair of flaming pants! Our girls could get along great!
At least they're just-to-die for cute, right?
Post a Comment