Sunday, December 14, 2008

Stop, Drop, and Roll!

There are advantages to living in a big city. (Now, before you scoff at my use of the word "big", keep in mind that I came from a town of 3,500--that makes most places seem big. But I digress...)

One advantage, in particular, that I sincerely enjoy is the fact that there are stores that stay open past six o'clock in the evening. It was a novelty when I first moved here...and I still revel in it!

Last night I found myself wandering the aisles of Target at 10:15pm. While it was supremely enjoyable (because I didn't have three screaming children with me) it was not a pleasure trip. I actually arrived at Target with a mission: to procure a new hairdryer. Why, you may ask, was it imperative that I find a new hairdryer at ten o'clock at night? Well, because earlier that day my old one CAUGHT ON FIRE!

No...I'm not kidding nor am I exaggerating. In the midst of my usual hairstyling routine I actually witnessed my hairdryer spontaneously bursting into flames. Several pieces of it then fell to the floor and singed my towel. Before you ask...no, my hair did not catch on fire. (Phew!!...Can you imagine what would have happened if this unruly mop would have ignited? Poof!) I was, thankfully, saved from the embarrassment of premature balding. A tender mercy. 

So today I'm grateful for two specific blessings in my life. My hair and holiday shopping hours. My glass is half full, people.

7 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

That is stinking funny! I hate blow dryers. Mine are always too loud or not hot enough or smell like they are going to catch on fire. I adore your "unruly mop" so I'm am also grateful that it did not catch on fire!

Fiddlefish said...

I'm glad you caught it before it caught your hair on fire. Mine has gotten caught in the little internal fan thingy before and gotten singed.

Wendy said...

That is too funny. Just the other day as I was drying my own unruly mop I was wondering if my blow dryer could catch on fire (cause it's a little old) - now I know.

Anonymous said...

That would have made for some great christmas pics - amy with half a head of hair....Yikes - you are lucky!

Chelsea said...

You have great hair and I am very grateful that it didn't catch on fire. I hope you enjoyed your kid-free trip!

The Lower Family said...

I am so glad that your hair didn't catch on fire. Once again you can turn any ordinary thing into an interesting piece of literature. I love reading your blog. I wish I could send you my stories and let you write them for me. My life would seem far more interesting. Have a great Christmas!

Rod and Jess said...

Hmmm - sounds slightly familiar, only mine didn't just catch fire - it exploded - right onto Carsyn's arm none-the-less! I still have a burn mark on my bathroom counter - and she has a lovely scar to remember her mother by! (Besides all the emotional ones I'm sure I'm creating!) I was told to quit wrapping the cord around the dryer to put it away because it causes stress to the wires at the connection point?!? Who knows! I'm just glad you're okay - and happy you still have that beautiful hair! You did an amazing job on the party by the way!