The same thing happens every day. There will be a moment when I notice that the girls are actually getting along. They are laughing. They are even sharing toys! The joy is always short-lived, however, because I know, as does every mother on the planet, that the time of cooperation will end with a wail and a scream from one (or both) children. This morning I was not in a mood to deal with it, so the second (and I mean second) the crying started I jumped in like a referee on steroids and hauled the two girls apart. I yelled (and yes...I yell) at them to "leave each other alone and don't talk to each other until I say so!"
Lindy had already been reprimanded for pestering her sleeping baby brother just moments earlier, so apparently this new "punishment" was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. She quickly grabbed her crayons and paper and went to work. With a scowl she stomped up the stairs handed the picture to me with a sigh and a flourish and stomped back downstairs. Let me explain what you are seeing:
Clockwise from top left we have Lindy (sad), Me (happy), Ellie (sad), and Ian (happy). This is supposed to represent the current emotional status of each member of the family. (Oh brother.) Then next to Lindy and Ellie we have the "broken hearts". When I asked Lindy if I broke her heart, she informed me, "That's not what that means...it means that you don't love me anymore." At this she proceeded to cry quietly and desperately in order to emphasize her devastation.
Seriously...I actually had no idea that her melodrama could ever inspire artistic creation. Apparently it can. And does.
12 comments:
Priceless! Moments like those makes me grateful for a blog! Someday you both will get a real laugh out of that picture!
What a smart girl, maybe next time I need to release some frustration I should just grad a piece of paper!
AWESOME! She is quite the little artist! When you make your book you have to blow that picture up to be the full page! LOL!
I love the art! Priceless!!
Impressive! She expresses herself so well!
oh dear...us heninger women really know how to lay it on thick!
That very thing has happened many times at our house with our dear boy. He takes it a step farther, however, and will say things like, "I am not having a birthday this year" or "I don't get any Christmas presents" and then will go on with many other self-deprecating comments. He's learned to play the martyr oh-so-well!
precious!!!!
Tara B.
how cute, I need to let you know though that, this is just the beginning of the melodrama with your daughters. I will pray for you! What a cute blog!
Oh Lindy Lindy Lindy, you cute dramatic girl! you need to frame that picture.
Ok I am seriously getting really scared. Why is it that I want a girl so bad can someone please explain this to me? Lindy makes me laugh so hard. Atleast you don't have a dull moment.
What a healthy way to express herself.
Oh my goodness, and Lindy is the only one with tears! It's nice that she can express herself through drawing. Umm... I have no girls... Yes, I think they mature faster than boys. What a sweetie.
Post a Comment