Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On The Job Training

In my current profession I have to admit I've been less than perfect. If I were employed by someone (other than a benevolent Father) and had regularly scheduled "performance reviews" I would have been fired LONG before now. 

The other day Tanya and I both agreed that each of our children should have come with their own, individually-tailored, instruction manual. It got me thinking. While I still have a lot (a WHOLE LOT) to learn, I have actually been able to pick up on a few incontrovertible facts while on the job so far:
  • If you have crayons in your house you will, at least once, have crayons on your house.
  • A freshly mopped floor will soon be covered with various sticky spills. Likewise, a freshly vacuumed floor will soon be host to innumerable crumbs, dirt, and rocks. 
  • A potty-trained child will need to visit a store restroom at least twice.
  • You will say things to your child you swore you never would.
  • When you are in a hurry your child will move slower than molasses in winter.
  • There will be at least one occasion where you ask yourself, "Why did I have kids?"
  • If your child can get pink eye, he/she will get pink eye. And...if your child gets pink eye, you will probably get pink eye.
  • Your own words will be thrown back in your face enough to convince you that you might need to stop talking to your children.
  • Your clean shirt will soon have someone else's food, tears, puke, boogers, urine or poop  on it.
  • You will be heard to make at least one hypocritical statement. (i.e.: "We don't hit in this house! If you hit your sister one more time I'm going to smack your rear end!")
  • When you say "Don't Touch Anything!" a child will immediately want (and try) to touch everything.
  • If you plan a family vacation/outing one, or all, of your children will come down with something.
  • You will use the following words an inordinate number of times: Stop it, listen, come here, don't, no, because...etc.
  • If you cook it, they will hate it.
  • If it comes from McDonald's, they will love it.
  • You will hear "Please please please please please please please please please!" more times than you can count. And you won't like it.
  • There is no longer such a thing as a good nights' sleep.
There's more. I know there is. This is just one day's worth of "Murphey's Law With Kids" brought to you by your friendly neighborhood crazy mom.

Enjoy!

Oh...and wish me luck tomorrow when we start all over again!

11 comments:

Holly said...

So true!! Good luck tomorrow. Glad us moms are all in it together.

Lewis Family said...

Amen! :D

Fiddlefish said...

I beg to differ! ;-) With everything you described it's time for a PROMOTION!!!!

Tara

Aubri n Scott said...

Well, Amy, I have to say that as your children get older you tend to lose sleep for different reasons, like, it is 10:15 and she isn't home yet, she is out on her first date, is he keeping his hands to himself... Good luck with all of this Amy, I have been doing it for 16 years and still feel like it is all new to me!

Rochelle said...

This is only the introductioin to your instruction manual right? I can't wait to read more!

Rochelle said...

This is only the introductioin to your instruction manual right? I can't wait to read more!

Erin said...

I love it! It is oh so true! Except at our house if there is a crayon it will eventually end up in someones nose :)

Erin said...

I love it! It is oh so true! Except at our house if there is a crayon it will eventually end up in someones nose :)

Jodi Jo said...

I was just thinking today what a horrible parent I have become lately. Your thoughts are hilarious on the subject. Oh, about the hippo thing, I think it makes sense. I am terrified of hippos.

Jen Crook said...

You are so right. I could add a bunch myself. Like laughing when your youngest child calls the 10 year old a "Retar". I know I should put her in timeout for naughty language, but sometimes we just have to laugh at their naughtiness.

The Brown 6 Pak said...

Great job! You could definitely write a book on this subject. Isn't it a great feeling to know that there are so many of us that can relate.